February 01, 2019

The idea of proceeding to trial in a criminal case, either misdemeanor or felony, seems to be a dying concept in the modern law practice. Prosecutors are overworked as well as their counterparts, the public defenders. Private attorneys, who accept court-appointed cases for indigent defendants, often are too busy with their private clients that proper care and preparation just doesn't take place for the poor. Therefore, the plea bargain has become king even in cases that should be tried.

Thus, the following is a list of questions to ask your lawyer in order to determine whether your case is being properly handled:

  1. Have you filed for discovery in my case so that I can know what evidence the State or Government has against me?
  2. Have you reviewed all of the evidence?
  3. What conflicts exist in the evidence? For example, did one police officer say one thing and another officer say something different?
  4. Did you get the transcripts from my preliminary hearing? Have you reviewed the transcripts?
  5. Do witness statements conflict with the sworn testimony of other witnesses?
  6. Is there any forensic evidence involved in my case? (DNA, Fingerprints, Gunshot Residue, etc.)
  7. What is your theory of my case?

While I am not saying that every case should go to trial, there are many that should and actually don't. Make sure both you and your lawyer know the strengths and weaknesses of your case. If you do this then you can make an informed decision regarding accepting a plea bargain or taking your case to trial. However, it is important to remember that, if your lawyer has put the time in to know you and your case, you should seriously consider your lawyer's advice. Your lawyer has the training and experience to provide you with the best advice.


May 21, 2019

The cost of divorces and dissolutions, particularly those involving children, are quite costly at most law offices. There are a number of reasons for the high costs. For example, the lawyers may simply want to fight with one another in order to increase attorneys fees and expenses. Or, the parties may want to fight over miniscule items or matters that are ultimately governed by the property division statute. Finally, one or both parties may simply just be unreasonable when it comes to parental rights and responsibilities, child support, parenting time, or other issues that are always governed by statute specifically or general local rules of court.

My approach to helping you terminate your marriage is to approach the financial and property issues as if you were terminating a partnership. The Ohio Revised Code works like a partnership agreement and very clearly describes how property is to be divided. Thus, I take an honest and cost saving approach to help you resolve financial matters with your spouse in a professional and businesslike manner. I see no reason to charge you $2,500.00 to fight for property that is valued at $500.00. That just doesn't make sense and is unfair to you.

Additionally, I will inform you of the court's guidelines for parenting time and the statutory considerations for parental rights and responsibilities as those pertain to your children. After all, your children are your most valuable assets. I will help you to seriously consider what is in the best interest of your children and guide you through this most emotional process.

Finally, if you and your spouse have an agreement that is fair, serves the best interests of your children, and complies with Ohio law then I will not discourage you from entering into that agreement, drafting the documents for you, and helping you terminate your marriage on the basis of that agreement.

Terminating a marriage does not have to expensive or messy if it is handled in a professional and businesslike manner. That is my goal. I look forward to helping you through this most difficult time in a way that is least expensive for you and, at the same time, protecting your rights and the emotional pain of a nasty and, often unnecessary, messy divorce.

If this type of approach appeals to you and your spouse then please do not hesitate to contact me. (740) 282-2676.